lauantai 11. kesäkuuta 2016

I'm going on an adventure!


Or rather, I already am on an adventure. My first time travelling abroad alone, without anyone from my family, and being in a completely different environment has been exciting! A week has passed already here in Kidwelly, Wales, where I'm staying with a family that has been friends with my family for many, many years now.

Some scenery not far from where I'm staying

Firstly, in case you don't already know me, allow me to introduce myself: my name is Leenu and I'm a Finnish university student. My major is English and Translation, and that's also the reason I'm in Wales: as a part of my studies, I'm required to spend a 6-week period in an English-speaking country. So this is me, in an English-speaking country, sharing the story of my adventure as it unfolds.

The night before my flight, I got a total of four hours sleep, so the first day I was mostly dozing, first in the plane, then in the car... But eventually I woke up to what, as I later found out, was a great week with lots of activities! I wish I could tell about everything in more detail, but every day has brought something new, and thus this would become so much longer post. Plus, as so many moments have already passed, I cannot describe them as vividly as if they had just happened.

This week has mainly been about living in Kidwelly as a part of the family I'm staying with. I have participated in many of the activities that belong in their lives. For example, on last Sunday I went to a church with them. It was probably one of the most pleasant experiences I've had from a church! Unlike in Lutheran services, which are more formal, the service in that church felt more warm and friendly. It was wonderful to see how people were so present in the moment, with all the music and communication and everything! It felt much more social than any church I have experience from, and that's something I really loved.

I have also been doing volunteer working, as it's one of the best ways to practice my English. I've done several days at EasyBooks (an accountancy business in Llanelli), and one day at Xcel Bowl (a bowling centre in Carmarthen). My free time has been quite busy as well. I have seen some relatives of the family, I've gone swimming, girl guiding, playing games and otherwise spending time with the family.

Next to the EasyBooks office. Not a bad place to eat lunch!

I also noticed that there is an Ingress portal less than 200m from where I'm staying! Owned by the Resistance nonetheless, with several links and fields stretching from it. So of course, as a devoted Enlightened agent, I had to go and capture it! My deed didn't go unnoticed though, and later I exchanged some messages with the Resistance agent whose portal I took down. Nice person, says they're good at throwing rocks at Enlightened agents. But, if I go to Swansea, there are a couple of Enlightened agents who asked me to drop them a message as well!

And of course you can't have an update from Britain without talking about the weather. "It's a lovely weather today, isn't it" or other sentences expressing similar idea have been frequent in daily small talk. And for a reason: we've had warmth and sunshine, and still not too hot usually. It only rained on one day, when we had a thunderstorm!

This has been the first part of the story. More will follow eventually, but first I have to experience it! Tomorrow I'm heading to St Madoc where I'll be camping without any connection to the outside world until next Friday. Expect more news when I return - see you soon!

P.S. I haven't spoken Finnish in days. That has never happened before. So weird!

2 kommenttia:

  1. Have you accidentally started in the wrong language, just even once? Because that happened to me and it was so weird I just sat there really confused going what just happened :D also phatic noises are a pain in the ass trying to englify, at least mine end up sounding so Finnish'y sometimes...

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. No, I haven't! :D I've uttered some Finnish reaction utterations under my breath, but never to another person.

      Poista